Pages

Translate

Thursday, September 26, 2013

A healthy brain is built with healthy relationshiops

Last week  I was speaking to a four year old who was taken out of his childcare program by his care giver  while she look for another school home for him. He is behind in his fine motor, cognitive skills and social and emotional skills. You may ask why did I say this?  He is not able to tie his laces, he cannot cut with a scissors, and he cries like a baby when he is upset so you get the picture.
I asked him if he missed his friends he said yes but he was put in the time out chair. I asked him why was he put in the chair "because I did not want to eat my vegetable" he responded. As I listened to the four year old I wondered how many four year olds are experiencing this trauma  in their daycare center. A child should not be punished because they do not want to eat. Adults  should know that most young children are picky eaters . This child may never want to eat vegetables because of the negative experience that he will associate with it.

I do not eat chocolate and the main reason- when I was a child I was forced to take X-lax it is a chocolate flavored laxative . I hated the taste but had to eat it because there was an adult standing with a belt over you. Adult behaviors with young children (The First 2000 Days) can cause life long trauma and disorders  and anti- social behaviors. You should be mindful of the consequences of your behavior when you interact with  young children.

No comments:

Post a Comment