Pages

Translate

Friday, January 16, 2015

Honesty-During the infant/toddler years

Observation
Date January 9,2015
Gender -Boy
Age-3 years and 18 months
Time-4.30 pm
It is said that all behaviors can be traced back to the infant/toddler years.Quality care during these years can also reduce crime . I have been reading these information  and I believe it but actually experiencing it makes a difference.
I am sitting in the living room and I do not hear Ajani . I called his name .He answers yes na-na "where are you " I am hiding". I walked to the hall way and he is covered with a sheet . What are you doing nothing  it's a secret . A few minutes later i went back lift up the sheet to check what he is doing. He had a small container of M/Ms  in his hand and dropped it on the floor as I picked up the sheet. The container was open and he was chewing one. "You know that we don't want you eating candy why did you say that you are doing nothing . That is not nice for you to do. " I said to him in a stern voice . I  leave the candy in the same spot and demand that he go and sit on the couch and relax.  He went to the couch and began to cry. I will not hide the candy because he has to learn that when we say that he should not do a behavior he should not. He also has to learn to trust himself and to self-regulate as a care giver you have to guide the brain toward socially acceptable behavior.It is very important to be calm and explain the behavior that is desired.
Let's look at this behavior based on brain development
His brain knows that he should not do that behavior
His impulse in the brain tells him to hide and do it
His brain tells him to say that he is not doing anything
You can clearly see that three major areas of the  brain is well developed  the last part is not : the cerebral cortex , it controls most of our conscious ,voluntary actions this is the last part of the brain to finis developing,and development is not complete until the mid 20s. Therefore guiding  your infant /him  towards the desired behavior is critical.


No comments:

Post a Comment