Pages

Translate

Monday, January 5, 2015

Blends..."th" "st"

As he begins to articulate more he will say a few words incorrectly. You should help him by teaching him how to say the word correctly.

Toddlers have a challenging time with word blends as they have to practice; basically having to exercise their jaw and tongue muscles. Especially the tough to pronounce certain words know as blends.

Many may believe they are stressing their toddler by correcting them. However it's the opposite in order for him to know you must teach. The brain will take the information and "click" the sound. That's the best way to describe it. The click can not occur if he doesn't hear the correct word.

One day Ajani said a word and continued repeating it until he pronounced it correctly and then said, "I did it". It was a word we worked on before.

You don't have to say, "No" then say the correct word. Just say the correct word and you could ask them to repeat it.

Here is a little "chant"
This and That Met for a Chat. This was Thin. That was Fat. I Like Think Things. I Like Fat. I Like This one I like That.

You are repeating the "th" blend. Hence the capitalization. Growing up both mom and I were not sure why the nursery school teacher in Jamaica would give us this chant (when she was in school and when I was in school) but now that I have Ajani we realize why.

Be well


Share the blog
Like Us on Facebook Kindergarten-Success
Follow us on Twitter @kindersuccess

No comments:

Post a Comment