Pages

Translate

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Alphabet

As you know repetition is key. Your toddler is probably watching Dora, Sesame Street and a few other age appropriate educational programs. They may sing the alphabet and so now your toddler is singing with them.

Just because she can sing the alphabet does not mean she "knows" the alphabet as yet. To know the alphabet means she is able to individually identify the letters that make up the alphabet.

Now is a great time to begin teaching her the letters, I suggest 2 years old. Begin with the easy letters single stroke letters such as Tt, Ll, Ii. Ajani is now 2.3 years old and on January 3 we started with the letter Tt. I took construction paper and cut thin strips (not too think because he needs to be able to easily hold and manipulate the paper without getting frustrated) 4 strips of paper. Two pieces for the capital letter T and two for the lower case letter t.

I showed him the letter Tt. then I said, "now we are going to make the letter T together. I allowed him to help me squirt the glue onto the strip and then let him place the stripe on the construction paper (try to use basic colors red, blue or yellow. It's not mandatory but suggested since those are the first colors taught). He needed help placing the top stripe so I guided his hand and did not do it for him. When we were done I asked, what letter is that, he replied, "T" I said yes, hi-5.

Then I had cut out a few pictures (3) of items that begin with the letter T that he is familiar with (telephone, tire and tomatoes). You can select pictures from the supermarket circular or a magazine.

We are still working with the letter T. The next day we did another activity with the letter T this time we used tissue paper to make the letter T. I wrote the letter on a cardboard (you can use construction paper if you like) I ripped the tissue paper into squares (large enough so his hands can work with it) then helped him place the balls of tissue paper on the glue section of the letter I drew. (this project may take a little more practice than the stripes of construction paper). Next you and her can look through one of her books and pick out pictures that start with the letter T. Ajani and I did that another day.

Never do too many activities of the same topic in 1 day your toddler may get frustrated or bored. Remember learning should be fun.

Next letter will be L because Ajani is able to identify a few words that start with the letter L such as lion.

Now your toddler is learning the alphabet

Let me know how it goes

Like us on Facebook  Kindergarten Success
Follow us on Twitter @ KinderSuccess
Instagram KindergartenSuccess

No comments:

Post a Comment