Pages

Translate

Friday, November 30, 2012

The importance of socialization

Socialization: interacting with peers/negotiation


On Wednesday I took my 14 month old son (Ajani) to the doctor.  My son was playing with the toys in waiting room. Another parent entered with her son in a stroller (I think he was 2 years old); my son began to help the little boy by trying to undo the strap on the stroller. Once they sat down my son went over to them to investigate the toy the little boy had. My son took the toy to study it and the mother said, "excuse me" and then snatched the toy from Ajani. I looked at her. Then I went over to them and started to tell Ajani what the toy does and has on it, it was making sounds and had purple numbers. I said, "sweetheart that's his toy" and then he gave the toy back. We walked away.

I actually walked away feeling sad, here is a mother that didn't understand how to speak to an infant; she simply snatched the toy from my son and gave it back to her son.  Some parents would have spoken to Ajani and their child by saying, "Ajani would like to look at your toy; you are sharing that's very good".

This would be an example of teaching your child how to socialize.  The changes of this child learning how to share and play with others in a positive manner are slim because the mother is not introducing him a key milestone, socialization.


Reeshemah
Daseta's daughter


No comments:

Post a Comment