Pages

Translate

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

They really pay attention to what you say

On Sunday I was fixing an item for Ajani to work on a hand eye coordination activity. (For those who just subscribed to the blog Ajani is my son and he is 2.2 years old). The item was hot because I was melting a section of it so it could be stiff enough so Ajani could push the item through round block with a hole in the center. Ajani heard me say "ouch" and he said, "what happen". I showed him my finger and said I have a boo boo. He looked at my finger, then  he took my finger as I looked at him as he touched my finger he said, "don't worry" (indicating to me that when he touches my boo boo it will not hurt).

This is a perfect example of language development and empathy. Once you display certain behavior toward your infant/toddler they retain that information and when the time comes they will utilized the same or similar language to you.


(an aside: it was important for me to make the polyester string stiff so he would get frustrated trying to push the string through the hole. He would have gotten frustrated because the string would have flopped each time he attempted to push the string through the hole. Whenever you do an activity try to make the outcome attainable for her. This helps develop her self confidence that she can try something and accomplish the activity).

No comments:

Post a Comment