Pages

Translate

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Adoptive Social behavior-Group Activities

birth-18mos

This is a very important skill that young children need to have. We live in a very diverse city however at times you would not believe it. Yesterday  My daughter and I took her 14 month old son to an open house. There were about 70 children there from infants to about 5 years old. We were the only people of color there . That is not unusual for us but it seams uncomfortable for many of the parents. I observed many parents moved their children to another activity once my grandson got close to their baby/child. Not one of them said "John" I think this baby wants to play with you.I am sure that behavior is so normal for the parent that they do not see it as a problem. At one point my grandson was in the container of balls with a few other children. One child just went over and attacked him. His father was there and  pulled him out. He did not say to the child "that is not how you play you have to be gently"He should  have  allowed the child to play but with more supervision. When you remove children from conflicts that does not teach them how to solve it and move on.
I think the child attacked my  grandson because he may have not seen a child that looks different from him before? or he may need an evaluation because he is impulsive,developing a personality dis-order.
What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment