Pages

Translate

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Adaptive Social Behavior in -Diverse settings

 birth-18mos
 We need to help our infants and toddlers to to function in diverse settings. Last week my friend invited my to an event in the city. She did not inform me that we may be the only person of color there. We arrived and half way through the event it clicked. This is not unusual . I am on committees where  I  am the only person of color. As people come in I would  introduce my self and  some people were open to conversation while others had a question on their face.  I introduced my self to this one lady and she responded" O I did not know that you are a part of the group, how did you know about the event"? . She is so accustomed to be just with her group that she questioned my being there. We really need to help our infants/toddlers to function in  diverse settings as you are growing them to live in the world.You do not want them to form their perception of others just from what they see on the T.V.
Children need to have these skills before they get to kindergarten.
This is a skill that many  adults struggle with.What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment